The 4. Panzer-Division was activated on 1 November 1940 from the 16. Infanterie-Division. It was effectively destroyed in the Battle of Stalingrad. The division was reconstituted in March 1943 under the supervision of the commander in chief, West. By May 1943, it was considered operational again. In December 1944, the division was assigned to the XXIV. Panzer-Korps as part of the recently introduced fixed corps structure. In February 1945, the remnants of the division were consolidated with Panzer-Division Jüterbog, effectively reforming the division. Elements of the division surrendered to both Soviet and U.S. forces.
August 1940: Generaloberst Hans-Valentin Hube
15 September 1942: Generalleutnant Günther Angern
5 March 1943: Generalmajor Rudolf Sieckenius1
8 November 1943: Generalmajor Hans-Ulrich Back
August 1944: Generalleutnant Dietrich von Müller
1 December 1944: Oberst Theodor Kretschmer (acting commander)
28 February 1945: Generalleutnant Dietrich von Müller
1 April 1945: Dr. Aschoff
19 April 1945: Oberst Kurt Treuhaupt
ORGANIZATION FOR BATTLE
• 16. Schützen-Brigade. Formed on 3 August 1940 from the deactivated Headquarters of the III./Schützen-Regiment 4 as the headquarters for the two motorized rifle regiments of the division. On 5 July 1942, the brigade was redesignated as the 16. Panzergrenadier-Brigade. The brigade headquarters element was deactivated in November 1942.
• Schützen-Regiment 64. Formed on 3 August 1940 from Infanterie-Regiment 64 (16. Infanterie-Division). On 5 July 1942, redesignated as Panzergrenadier-Regiment 64. Destroyed in Stalingrad in January 1943. Reconstituted in northwest France starting in March 1943. In December 1944 brought up to three battalions by consolidating with the II./Panzergrenadier-Regiment 79. Reconstituted by elements of Panzer-Division Jüterbog in February 1945.
• Schützen-Regiment 79. Formed on 3 August 1940 from Infanterie-Regiment 79 (16. Infanterie-Division). On 5 July 1942, redesignated as Panzergrenadier-Regiment 79. Destroyed in Stalingrad in January 1943. Reconstituted in northwest France starting in March 1943. In December 1944, reorganized and redesignated as Panzer-Füsilier-Regiment 79 as a corps troop of the XXIV. Panzer-Korps. For the reorganization, Panzergrenadier-Regiment 79 provided its 1st Battalion, while an additional battalion came from Panzergrenadier-Regiment 63. The regiment provided its 3rd Battalion to Panzergrenadier-Regiment 64 (see above).
• Panzer-Regiment 2. Formed on 15 October 1935, originally serving with the 1. Panzer-Division. The regiment joined the 16. Panzer-Division on 20 October 1940. On 28 May 1942, the regiment received a 3rd Battalion, provided by the
II./Panzer-Regiment 10 (8. Panzer-Division). Destroyed in the Battle of Stalingrad in January 1943. Reconstituted in France starting in March 1943 and reformed with three battalions. Reconstituted by elements of Panzer-Division Jüterbog in February 1945.
• Kradschützen-Bataillon 16. Formed on 2 August 1940 through a reorganization and redesignation of Maschinen-Gewehr-Bataillon 1. Consolidated with Panzer-Aufklärungs-Abteilung 16 on 1 August 1941 (see below). Reconstituted starting on 1 May 1942 in Artemowsk. Destroyed in Stalingrad. Reconstituted in March 1943, using cadre from Kradschützen-Grenadier-Regiment 890 (mot.). Reorganized and redesignated as Panzer-Aufklärungs-Abteilung 16 in April 1943.
• Panzer-Aufklärungs-Abteilung 16. Formed on 2 August 1940. Consolidated with Kradschützen-Bataillon 16 on 1 September 1941 after the fighting for Uman (see above). Reorganized and redesignated as Panzer-Aufklärungs-Abteilung 16 in April 1943 out of Kradschützen-Bataillon 16(see above).
• Artillerie-Regiment 16. Divisional artillery of the 16. Infanterie-Division. Reorganized and redesignated as Artillerie-Regiment 16 (mot.) on 3 August 1940. Redesignated as Panzer-Artillerie-Regiment 16 on 1 July 1942. Consolidated with Heeres-Flak-Artillerie-Abteilung 274, retaining its original designation and incorporating the Flak battalion as its 4th Battalion. Destroyed in Stalingrad in January 1943. Reconstituted in France starting in March 1943. The Flak battalion was reconstituted as a separate battalion and redesignated as Heeres-Flak-Artillerie-Abteilung 274 on 22 April 1943.
Air Defense Artillery
• Heeres-Flak-Artillerie-Abteilung 274. Formed on 22 February 1941. Temporarily redesignated and consolidated with the divisional artillery in 1942 and 1943 (see above). The Flak battalion was reconstituted as a separate battalion and redesignated as Heeres-Flak-Artillerie-Abteilung 274on 22 April 1943.
• Panzerjäger-Abteilung 16. Formed on 16 March 1940. Destroyed in Stalingrad. Reconstituted in France starting in March 1943. Apparently inactivated on 6 May 1943 (see below).
• Panzer-Pionier-Bataillon 16. Formed on 20 August 1940. Served as an instructional battalion for Rumanian forces from January to March 1941. Destroyed in Stalin-grad. Reconstituted in France starting in April 1943, with cadre coming from the engineer battalion of the reinforcedGrenadier-Regiment (mot) 890.
• Panzer-Divisions-Nachrichten-Abteilung 16. Formed on 3 August 1940. Destroyed in Stalingrad. Reconstituted in France starting in March 1943, with some cadre coming from Panzer-Nachrichten-Abteilung 127.
• Feld-Ersatz-Bataillon 16. Formed for the division on 1 March 1941, only to be quickly deactivated. Reconstituted on 6 May 1943, using cadre from the dissolved Panzerjäger-Abteilung 16 (see above). Redesignated (and reorganized?) as the I./Panzer-Feld-Ersatz-Regiment 63.
• Panzer-Divisions-Nachschubführer 16. The division support command. Divisional support elements not designated otherwise were given the numerical designator of 16.
1 Translator’s Note. The Lexikon lists the commander at this time as Generalmajor Burkhart Müller-Hillebrand, with Sieckenius not assuming command until May 1943.