About the Author

Richard (Dick) Allison is a retired Captain in the United States Naval Reserve Judge Advocate General’s Corps, having completed a twenty-six year military career in 1996. During his term of active duty (1968-1971) he served as line officer aboard the aircraft carrier USS Intrepid (CVS-11) and later on an admiral’s staff in an administrative capacity. It was during his shipboard years that he developed a keen interest in the subject of military aviation.

As a civilian, Allison worked 35 years as a bank trust-lawyer both in estate and personal trust administration. A lifelong resident of Grosse Pointe Farms, Michigan, Allison served as president of the Rotary Club there and also as chairman of the non-profit Grosse Pointe War Memorial Association. He is married and has a daughter. Retired from both careers now, his interests include skiing, hiking, woodworking, reading military history and writing.

Addison Bartush and the author Sept. 10, 2008 at the Yankee Air Museum Willow Run Airport, Ypsilanti, Michigan.—Richard Allison Collection

Cadet Addison Bartush while attending twin- engine school at George Field, Lawrenceville, IL, during the winter of 1943-44. Deploying to Europe as a B-17 co-pilot in the fall of 1944, Addison’s first mission was a difficult one and it was followed the next day by a tragedy for the Bishop Crew. Overcoming fear and adversity, Addison matriculated to become a combat-seasoned first pilot. After the war Addi- son joined the family business and continued flying. “I would rent small airplanes just for the fun of taking them up,” he said.—Addison Bartush Collection

One of approximately 4,500 survivors of the infamous Black March, after the war Paul Lynch obtained a PhD degree in biochemistry and physiology at Cornell University and had a long scientific career with the Beltsville Agricultural Research Center in Maryland. Many decades later, reflective over the suffering he experienced and witnessed in World War II, Paul commented: “War is not man’s greatest achievement.” This photo was taken after Paul entered basic training in the fall of 1943. —Paul Lynch Collection

Cadet Addison Bartush mastered twin-engine flight in this model trainer and affectionately referred to it as the “Beaverboard Bomber” since much of the plane was made from pressed wood to conserve metal for real bombers. Circa winter 1943-44, George Field, Lawrenceville, IL.—Addison Bartush Collection

Co-pilot Addison Bartush in the cockpit of a B-17 during crew training at Gulfport Army Airfield, Gulfport, MS, circa August 1944.— Addison Bartush Collection

Waist gunner Paul Lynch exiting a B- 17, Gulfport Army Airfield, Gulfport, MS, circa August 1944.—Addison Bartush Collection

B-17s in the flight line, Army Airfield, Gulfport MS circa August, 1944. —Paul Lynch Collection

The Bishop Crew at Gulfport Army Airfield, circa September 1944. Enlisted men standing from left to right: Robertson, Cumings, Monkman, Sheen, Lynch, Kendall. Officers kneeling left to right: Peacock, Miller, Bartush and Bishop.—Addison Bartush Collection

Arial photo of USAAF Air Station Bassingbourn taken by Addison Bartush. 1955 RAF photo (inset) shows proximity of hangers and other facilities.—Addison Bartush Collection

Maj. Immanuel J. Klette (smiling at camera) with Brig. Gen. Gross and Maj. Hudson.

Prepping for a mission at Station 121 USAAF Bassingbourn, UK. As the armorers load bombs, a mechanic works on an engine without the protection of a ramp. In 1944-45, 91st aircraft markings were red.—Marion Havelaar Collection (Ethell)

Father Michael Ragan

B-17 flying through a flak alley.

This photo was taken in March 1943 before Charles Cumings of Neenah, Wisconsin trained to become a top turret gunner. Later as flight engineer/ gunner for the Bishop Crew while training at Gulf- port, MS, Cumings was the one who inadvertently got his plane commander Dave Bishop into trouble over the increased carburation incident. Sergeant Cumings perished on this, his first combat mission.— Paul Lynch Collection

The Wild Hare was shot down on a November 26, 1944 mission to the Altenbeken Viaduct with nine men aboard, including the six men from the Bishop Crew whose photos appear on these pages. The three non-Bishop crewmembers that also flew this mission were: Lt. Robert J. Flint (POW), S/Sgt. Daniel V Hiner (KIA), and S/Sgt Bartolomeo Zanotto (KIA)

Although they had an altercation while training to become crewmembers, waist gunner Paul Lynch and radioman John Kendall put their differences aside for the good of the team. This photograph was taken at the end of their training in Gulfport, MS just before the crew flew to Maine. Lynch would witness Kendall cut down by Luftwaffe gunfire. —Paul Lynch Collection

First pilot Dave Bishop takes charge: a training mission flown out of Gulfport Army Airfield, Gulfport, MS circa August 1944. Bishop was captured and became a POW after the crash of The Wild Hare.—Addison Bartush Collection

Non-complaining and extremely well liked, tail gunner Owen Monkman was killed on the mission to Altenbeken. His parents in Montana endured the agony of long-term hope quashed: the U.S. Army Air Force changed Owen’s status from “missing in action” to “killed in action” in August 1946. This portrait was likely taken during or after basic training.—Paul Lynch Collection

The survivor of a harrowing parachute jump after being wounded, Navigator/Flight Officer Robert J. “RJ” Miller wanted few reminders of what he endured during the war. He had little contact with former Bishop crewmates. Pho- tograph taken Gulfport Army Airfield, Gulfport MS, circa August 1944. Former Gulfport crew- mate Ray Pea- cock wrote to Addison: “Tell RJ to stay out of the crap games.” — Paul Lynch Collection

The “Postkarte” that POW Paul Lynch mailed on December 7, 1944 to his parents in Massachusetts from the Dulag Luft interrogation center near Frankfurt. Such notification was a requirement of the Geneva Convention.—Paul Lynch Collection

A POW formation at Stalag Luft IV. Sergeant Paul Lynch and the other POWs experienced this twice daily, in the mornings and afternoons. “It was a head count,” Paul explained. This warm weather photo was taken prior to Paul’s arrival at the camp. —Donald Kremper Collection

Perspective of Lager “A,” and barracks I, 2, and 3 photographed from a guard tower. The “warning rail” running near the barracks was as close as POWs were permitted to approach the fences without being fired upon. The outer fence was electrified; note the shadow of the guard tower.—Donald Kremper Collection

Winter in northern Poland was severe as attested by this photo of four U.S. airmen relaxing and posing on a large snow bank at Stalag Luft IV. Note the smiles, no gloves and open flight jacket. This photo was taken in 1944 but the month is unknown —Dawn Trimble Bunyak Collection

“Mist, fog, snow, frost, and drizzle,” precludes air operations by the Eight Air Force for days on end in mid December 1944. U.S. troops besieged in the Battle of the Bulge could not be assisted from the air. Taken at USAAF Air Station Bassingbourn, vehicles used for towing bombs, servicing and fueling B-17s sit idle.— Marion Havelaar Collection (Harlick)

Soon to be famous Rhapsody in Red B-17 #297959. Photo by Addison Bartush, USAAF Air Station Bassingbourn, UK, circa February 1945.—Addison Bartush Collection

Twenty-six bombers appear in this photo taken through a radio hatch of a bomber flying with a lower formation. On a typical mission day the 91st would put up a total of approximately 36 B-17s, representing three squadrons.— Marion Havelaar Collection (Harlick)

Coming back from a bombing mission and no longer in danger, Addison enjoys male entertainment in the February, 1945 edition of Esquire magazine. At this point in the war his confidence has returned. Note his dress for cold conditions.—Addison Bartush Collection

A strike photo from the February 3, 1945 raid on Berlin that commenced Operation Thunderclap. Wind driven smoke rising from earlier bombings obscures whole city blocks. Templehof airdrome is centered in the photo.—Marion Havelaar Collection

Operation Thunderclap continues—Dresden after aerial attacks of 13-14 February 1945. The sculpture “Gute” ("Goodness") by August Schreitmüller.

February 6, 1945: the start of the 500-mile, three-month Black March from Stalag Luft IV Approximately 6,000 POWs made the march, mostly American airmen, and 1,500 died. Per POW Paul Lynch, the marchers divided into groups of approximately 200 each, and six guards, three to a side, escorted. A number of marchers carried improvised tin can-laden backpacks that soon caused spinal or shoulder problems. The groups were kept apart to prevent massing for a rebellion. Note a lead group in the distance.—Donald Kremper Collection

Douglas A-20A, similar to the three planes Paul witnessed in action the morning of April 24, 1945. Forty-nine percent of the planes supplied to the Soviet Union through Lend-Lease were A-20s.

Postcard showing the technical school in Riesa, Germany that the Red Army used as a collection center for U.S. citizens (former POWs of the Nazis) per the Yalta agreement. Paul was held at this center from May 12 to May 25, 1945, when he and approximately 160 other Americans were repatriated to U.S. military control. As indicated by its postmark, Paul mailed this card home on June 1, probably from Camp Lucky Strike in France.— Paul Lynch Collection

April 25, 1945, the last strategic mission for the Eighth Air Force in World War II—airport attack, Pilsen, Czechoslovakia. Note part of a cumulous cloud that impeded visibility. Photo source: Headquarters 1st Air Division newsletter First Over Germany, Vol. 1. No. 4 dated May 5, 1945.—Addison Bartush Collection

A group of unidentified American G.I.s at their moment of liberation May 2, 1945. Sergeant Paul Lynch and his fellow escapers were “liberated” by the Red Army on April 24 but not returned to U.S. military control until over a month later.—Donald Kremper Collection

Jack, Addison & Chuck—guests of their father Stephen J. Bartush at the Rotary Club of Detroit, Summer, 1945.—Addison Bartush Collection

Left to right: Paul Lynch, Dave Bishop and Addison Bartush at the 1998 reunion of the 91st Bomb Group. Dave and Addison saw each other occasionally following the war, but this was the first time the three had reunited since 1944. “One can imagine the incredible emotion that we experienced that day,” Addison recalled. They joked about again flying together as a team. Dave Bishop lives in Spartanburg, SC, Paul Lynch in Union Bridge, MD, and Addison in Grosse Pointe, MI—all still “unstoppable."—RA 2014.—Paul Lynch Collection

If you find an error please notify us in the comments. Thank you!