Appendix II: Building and Conversion Locations

LCI(L) Builders

Albina Engine and Machine Works, Portland, OR: LCI(L)1014–1018, 1023, 1024, 1026, 1028–1030*

Brown Shipbuilding Company, Houston, TX: LCI(L)337, 338, 340–342, 345–348

Commercial Iron Works, Portland, OR: LCI(L)725–730, 732, 739–742, 744–749, 751–757, 760, 762–767, 769–776

Consolidated Steel Corporation, Orange, TX: LCI(L)61, 64–74, 77–82, 948, 951–959, 961, 962, 964, 974, 975, 1010–1012

Defoe Shipbuilding Company, Bay City, MI: LCI(L)1055–1060, 1068–1070, 1077, 1078, 1088, 1089

Federal Ship Building and Dry Dock Company, Port Newark, NJ: LCI(L)191, 192, 194–196

George Lawley & Sons, Neponset, MA: LCI(L)220, 224–226, 230, 231, 233–237, 351–356, 359, 362, 365, 366, 372, 373, 396–398, 401, 403–408, 412–415, 417–422, 658–660, 664, 669, 670, 673, 674, 704–708

New Jersey Shipbuilding Corporation, Barber (Perth Amboy), NJ: LCI(L)428, 431, 437–442, 449–475, 506, 514, 516, 517, 528, 538–544, 546–548, 556–561, 563–568, 570–580, 582, 588, 594–596, 630–633, 638, 642–651, 785, 801–810

New York Shipbuilding Corporation, Camden, NJ: LCI(L)17–19, 21–24, 31, 34, 36, 41–43, 45, 46

The ships listed above underwent conversion to gunboats after their initial construction as LCI(L)s. Other LCI(L)s were produced by each of these yards but since they were not converted to gunboats, they are not listed above.

LCI(L) Conversion Locations

Espiritu Santo, New Hebrides: LCI(G)61, 64, 65, 66

George Lawley & Sons, Neponsett, MA: LCI(G)401, 403, 408, 412–415, 428

Jacksonville, FL: LCI(G)506, 538–541, 556

Manus Island: LCI(M)366, 372, 373, 461, 464, 465, 467, 472–475, LCI(R)366, 372, 373, 439, 440, 451, 461, 462, 464, 465, 467, 472, 475

Milne Bay, New Guinea: LCI(R)31, 34, 73, 74, 224–226, 230, 331, 337, 338, 340–342

Mios Woendi, Schouten Islands: LCI(M)359, 362, 431, 658, 659, 754, 755, 974, 975, 1055

Noumea, New Caledonia: LCI(G)21–24, 67–70

Pearl Harbor, Hawaii: LCI(G)77–80, 345–348, 365, 366, 437–442, 704–706, 739–742, 1056–1059, LCI(M)653, 727, 728, 729, 756, 757, 760, 1011, 1012, 1023, 1024, 1068–1070, 1088, 1089, LCI(R)639, 640, 643, 645–649, 704–706, 761–766, 784, 785, 787, 992, 996, 997, 1062

Portsmouth, VA: LCI(G)422, 442, 558–561, 565–567, 568, 580, 751

San Diego, Naval Repair Base, CA: LCI(G)81, 82, 191, 192, 194, 345, 346, 348, 398, 404–407, 417–421, 449–453, 455, 457, 558, 727–730, 751, 752, 948, LCI(M)396, 397, 449–453, 455, 465, 467, 468–475, 516, 542, 582, 588, 594–596, 633,727, 728, 729, 739, 740, 742, 756, 1011, 1012, LCI(R)639, 640, 706, 761, 765, 766, 784, 785, 768, 787, 992

San Francisco—Hunter’s Point: LCI(R)642, 644, 650, 651, 707, 708, 771, 772, 1028, 1029, 1030, 1077, 1078

San Francisco—Treasure Island: LCI(G)41, LCI(R) 1078

San Pedro, CA (General): LCI(G)196, 220, 233, 754, LCI(M)630–633, 638, 801–810, 1010

Craig Shipbuilding Company: LCI(M)351–354, 803

Harbor Boat Building, Terminal Island: LCI(M)355, 356, 456

Standard Shipbuilding Company: LCI(G)454, 458–461

West Coast Shipbuilding Company, Terminal Island: LCI(G)462, 463, 725, 726

West Coast Yards (General): LCI(G)42–46, 195, 234, 422, 466, 514, 517, 528, 566, 570–579, 751

A number of the gunboats underwent two conversions, from a (G) configuration to an (R) or (M). They are listed at the location where each change took place. Thus, an individual ship may be listed twice. Some ships are not listed as their conversion locations are unavailable. Numerous small yards in southern California converted ships and they are identified wherever possible. Many of the shipyards existing in 1944–1945 were in the area between San Diego and Long Beach, California.

Conversions were made in a single yard or in a combination of yards. For instance, LCI(L)s of Group Sixty-Three received their rocket launchers and guns at the U.S. Naval Drydocks, Hunter’s Point, San Francisco. Once the new weapons had been installed, the ships went to several yards in the San Francisco area for further work. The second part of the conversion involved modifying interior spaces to rocket storage compartments. In the San Francisco area, this work was performed by United Engineering, San Francisco; Bethlehem Steel, San Francisco; Moore’s East Yard, Oakland; Hurley’s Marine Works, Oakland; General Engineering, Alameda; and United Engineering, Alameda.

LCS(L) Builders

Albina Engine and Machine Works, Portland, OR: LCS(L)48–78

Commercial Iron Works, Portland, OR: LCS(L)26–47, 79–108

George Lawley & Sons, Neponset, MA: LCS(L)1–25, 109–130

The first LCS(L), LCS(L) 1, was launched by the Lawley yard on 15 May 1944. The last built there was LCS(L) 130, launched on 15 December 1944. Albina launched her first, LCS(L) 48, on 7 July 1944, and Commercial launched LCS(L) 26 on 13 August 1944. The last LCS(L) built was LCS(L) 108, launched by Commercial on 10 March 1945. None of the LCS(L)s underwent conversion as they were purpose-built as gunboats from the beginning.

If you find an error please notify us in the comments. Thank you!