1. The counties of England
2. The regions of Scotland and northern England
3. The structure of the early Scottish state.
(Based on the map in Alexander Grant’s essay in The Medieval State,
ed. J. R. Maddicott and D. M. Palliser (Hambledon, 2000), p. 59.)
4. Royal Scotland: expansion and administrative change
5. The regions and political divisions of Wales
6. Wales by c. 1200: the ebb and flow of Anglo-Norman power.
(Based on the map in R. R. Davies, Conquest, Coexistence and Change: Wales
1063–1415 (Clarendon Press, Oxford; University of Wales Press, 1987), p. 38.)
7. The Edwardian settlement of Wales, 1277–95.
(Based on the map in R. R. Davies, op. cit., p. 362.)
8. The English expansion in Ireland
(Based on the map in Robin Frame’s chapter in Short Oxford History of the British
Isles: The Twelfth and Thirteenth Centuries, ed. B. F. Harvey (Oxford, 2001), p. 39.)
9. The continental possessions of the English kings after 1066.